Maps | Directions



  • Create a property inventory.
  • Secure any objects that might become airborne or cause damage in strong winds. Whenever possible. bring items inside that cannot be secured.
    • You should store as much as possible, as high as possible, off the floor, especially items that could be in short supply after the storm.
  • Put papers, files, books, etc., in plastic bags and store in high locations.
  • Generators — check operation and fuel supply.
  • Backup property inventories on a DVD or CD and put it in a safe place.
  • Keep storm drains on your property clear of debris.
  • Unplug all computers during severe storms.
  • Cover with plastic if water leakage is possible.
  • Surge protectors are only effective for one year and need to be replaced.
  • Place all laptops in a safe place.
  • If computers get wet. do not turn them on. If dried out within 24 hours they may be able to be saved.
  • Backup all valuable information. If the computer is lost, this information cannot be retrieved.


  • Water extraction needs to begin within 24 hours to be most effective.
  • Remind everyone to check for safety hazards before beginning work.
  • Be alert for, live wires, leaking gas, flammable liquids, chemicals that could react violently with each other, storm water that may be contaminated, etc.
  • Document any damage with photos. If you do not have a camera at your worksite, get one or get a disposable camera to have available at all times.
  • Do not throw anything significant away unless you have a photo. Try to keep whatever you can until it has been seen by an adjuster.
  • For a major loss, assign someone to be the record keeper.
  • Keep track of inventory numbers for damaged property.


FEMA will provide assistance to the State and its local governments for the repair or replacement of disaster damaged facilities; this includes debris removal (Category A) and emergency protective measures (Category B). There will be no assistance for hazard mitigation. The FEMA number is 1-800-621-3362, however, MEMA and county officials are establishing local assistance offices.

FEMA will cover damage related expenses only in excess of insured loss payments. Therefore, if you have flood insurance, you must submit your claim to the insurer.

We will work with you to get the best outcome in the adjustment of your loss.

The suggestions presented in this handout are not listed in any order of priority nor are they meant to be all inclusive. These suggestions are provided from a Loss Control and Risk Management perspective and are not meant to be a substitute for legal advice.



Chestertown | 118N Cross Street | Chestertown, MD 21620 | 410-778-0500 |

©2008 Chesapeake Bay Internet Associates